top of page


The Royal Regina Rifles is a Primary Reserve infantry regiment of the Canadian Army. Prior to 1982 the regiment was known as The Regina Rifle Regiment. The Royal Regina Rifles are part of 3rd Canadian Division's 38 Canadian Brigade Group.

The regiment was nicknamed "The Johns" during World War II because of the high proportion of "Farmer Johns" in its ranks.

Light Infantry

Light infantry is a designation applied to certain types of foot soldiers (infantry) throughout history, typically having lighter equipment or armament or a more mobile or fluid function than other types of infantry, such as heavy infantry or line infantry. Historically, light infantry often fought as scouts, raiders, and skirmishers—soldiers who fight in a loose formation ahead of the main army to harass, delay, disrupt supply lines, and generally "soften up" an enemy before the main battle.


After World War II, the term "light infantry" evolved, and now generally refers to rapid-deployment units (including commandos and airborne units) that specifically emphasize speed and mobility over armor and firepower. Some units or battalions that historically held a skirmishing role have kept their designation "light infantry" for the sake of tradition.

  • Black Facebook Icon
The Great War

Details of the 95th Saskatchewan Rifles were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protective duty.

The 28th Battalion (Northwest), CEF, was authorized on 7 November 1914 and embarked for Britain on 29 May 1915 and arrived in France on 18 September 1915.


The 28th Battalion fought as part of the 6th Infantry Brigade, 2nd Canadian Division in France and Flanders until the end of the war. The 28th Battalion disbanded on 30 August 1920

28th Battalion on Banks of the Rhine, Dec 1918.bmp
Royal Regina Rifles

Originated 3 July 1905 in Regina, Saskatchewan when a "regiment of infantry in the districts of Assiniboia and Saskatchewan" was authorized
Redesignated 2 April 1907 as the 95th Regiment
Redesignated 1 May 1908 as a rifle regiment
Redesignated 1 June 1909 as two separate regiments, designated the 105th Regiment (now The North Saskatchewan Regiment) and the 95th Regiment
Redesignated 16 September 1913 as the 95th "Saskatchewan Rifles"
Amalgamated 15 March 1920 with the 60th Rifles of Canada and redesignated as The South Saskatchewan Regiment
Reorganized 15 May 1924 into five separate regiments: The Weyburn Regiment (now The South Saskatchewan Regiment); The Saskatchewan Border Regiment (now The South Saskatchewan Regiment); The South Saskatchewan Regiment (now The Saskatchewan Dragoons); The Assiniboia Regiment (now the 10th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA); and The Regina Rifle Regiment
Amalgamated 15 December 1936 with the 'Headquarters' and 'A Company' of the 12th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC and retaining the designation as The Regina Rifle Regiment
Redesignated 7 November 1940 as the 2nd Battalion, The Regina Rifle Regiment
Redesignated 4 April 1946 as The Regina Rifle Regiment
Redesignated 5 July 1982 as The Royal Regina Rifle Regiment
Redesignated 24 October 1984 as The Royal Regina Rifles

Today and Beyond

Afghanistan, various domestic operations including support for the current Pandemic Covid19 the Royal Regina Rilfes continue to evolve and move forward.  Up the Johns!

bottom of page